Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy

Symptoms and Treatment by CORTAID®

Poison ivy, poison oak and poison sumac are all plants that contain an oil called urushiol. Urushiol can cause allergic reactions upon contact. While some people are more sensitive than others, the result is often a rash that is very itchy and uncomfortable.


People who are allergic develop a rash within 2 to 48 hours after being in contact with the poisonous plants. The rash may continue to develop for several days after the initial symptoms. Following the redness and itchiness, the rash may blister before it heals.


To best treat Poison Ivy, Oak or Sumac, you should first remove the toxin. For a safe and effective way to remove the toxin, use CORTAID® Poison Ivy Care Removal Cloths. If the rash has occurred, use CORTAID® Poison Ivy Care Treatment Kit to relieve the itching and help heal the rash.